Saturday, March 8, 2014

Social Networking Sites

           Myspace, Facebook, Twitter & Pintrest. It is a timeline of the history of social media sites. The first one on the list is all but dead. Held together by loyalty and pages for musicians. I was a member at one point, but it has probably been about 4-5 years since I last participated in Myspace.
           Next on the list is Facebook, an updated version of Myspace that took the world by storm. I was once part of that storm. I am no longer. It seemed as though all of the people I became back in touch with just made me realize why I wasn't in touch with them in the first place. No want to share my life with 'strangers'. My girlfriend and I kicked the habit on the same day about 2-3 years ago and we have not missed it a bit. I catch her on there once in a while just browsing but that is all it is really good for, to 'catch up' on things.
           Third comes Twitter, the newest phenomenon of them all. I had never really ventured into the world of Twitter as I gave up on social media after kicking the habit of Facebook. I do have to say I believe far more in the future of Twitter than Facebook. It is simpler and more to the point. I believe it's use in business is far better than using Facebook for business. You can get to the point right away and attach a trend to it so it can be easily found. With Facebook you must recruit people before you can market to them (other than paid for ads), with Twitter it is much easier to reach people you don't know about yet.
          Pintrest is a newer form of social media that let's people share their thought and likes via pictures, not words. This can have a greater effect because words need to be understood, pictures can be a lot more direct. As a business you can take advantage of this by seeing trends and basing your products on those trends.

1 comment:

  1. Pintrest is a very new social media. It is a good community to learn about recipes and do-it-yourself stuffs! A picture can say a thousand words. I think Pintrest is a very innovative site to get to know people with similar taste and interest!

    ReplyDelete