Saturday, April 5, 2014

Privacy

           Privacy is the main reason why I quit social media over 2 years ago. Privacy is very important to me. While I love to share ideas and memories with friends, the 'friends' you have on social media are not necessarily those people. I find it scary that people want to share their daily lives with the world but maybe that is just an insecurity of mine. So many times people get into trouble and lately lose their jobs over social media posts. While we live in a free country, with freedom of press, beliefs and ideas, this is not without consequence. There seems to be a group or anti-group for just about every subject out there. Someone who wants to freely share their idea with their friends or followers can be crucified over their beliefs. More than that, people's careers can end on the spot with a simple tweet. While it might be good to see who someone really is, just because I do not agree with their ideas does not mean they should lose their job which they most likely worked their whole life to achieve. We live in a very scary time as far as social media goes and it is not something I am interested in participating in.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your post, people these days have to keep some things private. I actually am in the same boat as you; I haven't really used social media site like Facebook since high school, because I like to keep my life private. I don't really considers friends on social media to be friends. I mean usually with the all the friends you have on Facebook its not like you have deep conversations with them, instead you just say things like "Hi" and "how was your day." Real friends are ones, you have thoughtful conversations about; its much better to speak in person. As for the other part, companies, employers, etc can find out so much about you from a simple post; I even remember this article that said there are programs to decipher where you live, your personality, habits, just from your friends list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Evan,

    I agree with you when you say that it is scary that people are updating their lives to the world. For some cases like myself, I use social media to keep up with friends that do not go to same school as me. Most of my friends are friends from high school that do not attend Baruch. Because of that, Facebook is something that I can use to keep up with their lives. Sure, some people do update more than they should on their Facebook. However, I personally don't update anything on my Facebook except music I like or shared memories with certain friends. I would never upload something on Facebook that could jeopardize my chances with a job or my future career. Some people sacrifice their privacy in order to keep up with all their peers, whether they are close to them or not. To me, it's just a matter of how much privacy you are willing to sacrifice to keep up with a few of your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I don't normally use Facebook unless I want to talk to friends I can't see everyday. Furthermore, I only add people that I know on Facebook. I don't add people because I want to have many friends online. Like you, I am also cautious that employers will look at my profile and deem me unfit for a job. This is a reason why I don't post much on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete